Neatline Exhibit Builder Content Block Problems

I’m trying to use the exhibit builder to embed a Neatline map as a content block, but the map just comes out as a tiny frame. Also tried embedding it as an iframe in a text block, but that doesn’t seem to work, either. Is there any way to increase the size of the Neatline content block so that it’s actually usable, or other ways to embed the map…? The theme we’re using is a modified version of “The Daily” if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Hi t3k0,

Neatline was designed to pull content from Omeka into Neatline exhibits, but we didn’t create affordances going the other way. I need to chat with our developers about this, but my immediate answer is that what you’re trying to do isn’t possible with the current state of the software.

I think there is a hacky way to accomplish what you want to do, though. If you want to use the map in an exhibit, you could screen shot your annotated map in Neatline, then save that image as an Omeka item and use that in your exhibit. It wouldn’t be elegant, but it would work. You could also provide a link back to the Neatline exhibit from the Omeka exhibit from that exhibit image.

Sorry to not have a better solution for you.

Best,
Ronda

2 Likes

Hey! So, I was referring to the option within the exhibit builder that lets you pull in a neatline map…

…but that winds up squishing it in the public display.

I worked around this by throwing the map in an iframe (using the fullscreen link) on the exhibit page, & then having a “View Fullscreen” link above it. Non-ideal, but it works okay for what we want to do.

Thanks for responding!

1 Like

HA! So much for me being an expert at Neatline! :slight_smile:

Glad that you found a workaround. I’m going to go figure out what’s happening here so that I can answer the next question a little better, and so we can figure out why the exhibit doesn’t display properly.

Thanks!
Ronda

1 Like

One thing that would perhaps work better is to edit the layout.css file in plugins/Neatline/views/shared/exhibit_layouts/neatline, which is where the 250px height is explicitly set. Something like this might be better:

.exhibit-block.layout-neatline iframe {
    width: 100%;
    min-height: 250px;
    height: 50vh;
}

Here I reserve 250px as the minimum height of the neatline block, regardless of the viewport height, and then increase the height value to 50% of the viewport height. you could also add this to your theme’s CSS too, if you’d prefer not to edit the plugin files directly.

1 Like

Fantastic! I’ll probably give this a go, too. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 250 days. New replies are no longer allowed.