Issues when installing multilanguage plugin

Hi there,

When attempting to install the Multilanguage plugin in Omeka 2.5 I get the following errors:

Omeka has encountered an error

Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli_Exception

Mysqli statement execute error : Specified key was too long; max key length is 255 bytes

Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli_Exception: Mysqli statement execute error : Specified key was too long; max key length is 255 bytes in /var/www/html/omeka-2.5.1/application/libraries/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php:214
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/html/omeka-2.5.1/application/libraries/Zend/Db/Statement.php(303): Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute(Array)
#1 /var/www/html/omeka-2.5.1/application/libraries/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(480): Zend_Db_Statement->execute(Array)
#2 /var/www/html/omeka-2.5.1/application/libraries/Omeka/Db.php(79): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query('\nCREATE TABLE I...')
#3 /var/www/html/omeka-2.5.1/plugins/Multilanguage/MultilanguagePlugin.php(100): Omeka_Db->__call('query', Array)
#4 /var/www/html/omeka-2.5.1/application/libraries/Omeka/Plugin/Broker.php(145): MultilanguagePlugin->hookInstall(Array)
#5 /var/www/html/omeka-2.5.1/application/libraries/Omeka/Plugin/Installer.php(130): Omeka_Plugin_Broker->callHook('install', Array, Object(Plugin))
#6 /var/www/html/omeka-2.5.1/application/controllers/PluginsController.php(97): Omeka_Plugin_Installer->install(Object(Plugin))
#7 /var/www/html/omeka-2.5.1/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action.php(516): PluginsController->installAction()
#8 /var/www/html/omeka-2.5.1/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(308): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch('installAction')
#9 /var/www/html/omeka-2.5.1/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http))
#10 /var/www/html/omeka-2.5.1/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/Bootstrap.php(105): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch()
#11 /var/www/html/omeka-2.5.1/application/libraries/Zend/Application.php(384): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_Bootstrap->run()
#12 /var/www/html/omeka-2.5.1/application/libraries/Omeka/Application.php(77): Zend_Application->run()
#13 /var/www/html/omeka-2.5.1/admin/index.php(28): Omeka_Application->run()
#14 {main}```

Has anyone run into comparable errors with this or another plugin and can point me to any solutions? 

Thank you, 

Roger
1 Like

I’m not super familiar with the Multilanguage plugin specifically, but this is an error that you see from MySQL when creating a column that is too large. I’ve seen this issue crop up before in the context of using “utf8mb4” encoding, which takes up a little more space. That doesn’t seem to be the issue here (unless you’ve edited the plugin).

Instead it seems like it might be an interaction with the version of MySQL you’re using and/or some settings for the database, and this plugin’s use of a data type called “tinytext.”

If you’re up for trying some editing, replacing every instance of tinytext in the MultilanguagePlugin.php file with varchar(190) would probably fix this issue.

1 Like

Thank you @jflatnes! That worked!

Much appreciated!

-Roger

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 250 days. New replies are no longer allowed.