Instructions for Migrating from Omeka Classic to Omeka-S

Folks,

I just joined the forum. I have an end user, a library archivist, who is currently using Omeka Classic v1.5. He wants help migrating to the current Omeka-S v1.0. Unfortunately I haven’t found any detailed instructions for pulling all of the files, data, and settings from the old installtion into a much newer Omeka-S environment on a new server we have set up. Is there a fairly easy path for migration or will we have to perform several workarounds and partial migrations to get all of the current content on the new server? The biggest issue is to not have to re-input settings or re-upload files. any help you folks can gives us is appreciated.

TIA

Mario Giorno
Application Developer & Jr Sys Admin
Annenberg School for Communication
University of Pennsylvania
3620 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
(215) 898-7046
mario.giorno@asc.upenn.edu

It’s doable, but there will be a few steps with a version that old.

First, you should both know that Omeka Classic and Omeka S will still be maintained in paraallel. Omeka S is a very different beast, and there’s not a direct update like there was from 1.5 to 2.0.

Now, to move from Classic to S, the best way is to use the Omeka2Importer module for S (still in alpha, but soon to be in beta). The trouble you’ll have is that it works by using Omeka Classic’s API, which was only introduce in version 2.1.

Thus, for an automated transition, you’ll need to update the v1.5 site to the latest Omeka Classic. Then turn the API on, and the Omeka S installation can try to import the files and data with that importer module.

Patrick,

Thanks for the 411! At least this option gives us a reliable path for migration. Have you talked to any web developers or librarians about the process of migrating to Omeka-S? Have they given you any feedback or input about any pitfalls they've discovered during such a migration?

Mario Giorno
3620 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
(215) 898-7046

Not much yet, just lots of testing here at RRCHNM. We’re seeing more people trying out Omeka S, and I suspect more people trying this kind of import will reveal more info about what works and what doesn’t.

OK. When we’re done transitioning to Omeka-S, I’ll provide some feedback on this forum and let folks know what we did.

Mario Giorno
3620 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
(215) 898-7046

did you ever finish that migration? I would like to do a similar thing, I think. To add a complicating factor, however, the old Omeka site’s server was ported to https this fall and now looks terrible and I can’t figure out how to fix that either.