Html urls in fields

Hi there, a maybe-stupid question. On Omeka S, I insert html URLs in a few fields (refering to external sources about objects of my database). But when looking to these entries (on the public side of the site), the addresses are not hyperlinked (html remains text). And if I try to force hyperlinks (a href…), it doesn’t work as well.

(In the settings panel, I didn’t activate HTMLpurifier.)

Is it a config in the display of contents on the public side? Is there a simple way for hyperlinking URLs in fields?

Thanks!

René

In your resource template, you’ll need to select or change the data type for the field to URI and then those fields will show publicly as an active link.

https://omeka.org/s/docs/user-manual/content/resource-template/#property-options

Yeah, Omeka S doesn’t allow HTML in metadata values.

As Sharon said, there’s a URL type for data that you can use in Omeka S, and those values will show as “live” links. You can set a template if you’re always using URLs for the same fields, or you should also see buttons on the regular metadata form that let you add a one-off URL value for a property.

Thanks for those quick replies. So there is no way to have an hyperlink through a long text entry…

It means there is no possibility for rich-text entry? markdown or tinyMCE-style tool?

You can add HTML as a Media to items, and you do get the standard rich-text editor if you do that.

I believe there are some modules that might add the capability to do HTML in metadata values, but the out-of-the-box software purposely doesn’t allow it.

There are options for doing things in the theme, also, like using Javascript to detect and “linkify” URLs within the text.

Thank you @jflatnes, I will have a look to these hints (Medias, yeah, but it has to be managed for its insertion point in the page, since Medias are pushed to the top of the page in the standard view). Modules: nothing in the short list, will check in Daniel Berthereau’s modules.

Yes, the module DataType Rdf allows to add html or xml or boolean content as value.

Omeka S is Semantic and semantic doesn’t forbid the use of html content, even if it is better to make a strict separation of content and format. But this is not always possible, in particular for descriptions.

Note that in some cases, the theme should be updated to remove the escapeHtml().

Merci @Daniel_KM ! We will check if it may help in our case.

This topic was automatically closed 250 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.