Grouping specific records in Neatline exhibit

Is it possible to group or isolate multiple Neatline records in an exhibit? For example, in my exhibit here I have mapped Prohibition raids and color coded them by year. Though I’ve included a key, I’d like users to be able to click on a year so that only that color appears on the map. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

Hello!

Another way of grouping your points would be to install the Waypoints plugin. You’ll need to create a record for each year that does not have a map annotation, but is selected to appear on the Waypoints sidebar.

You’ll then add each of the records representing a raid to the Waypoints sidebar, where you can group them by year.

If you turn on the timeline plugin and add After and Before dates to all the raid records, you can set them to only appear (on the map and on the waypoints sidebar) when the timeline is positioned between a specific date range. (You won’t want to set After and Before dates on your Year records since you want them to always appear.)

Please let us know if you have further questions! We’re happy to help.

Ronda

Hi, I have nothing substantive to add. But that is a super cool map and dataset! I’d love to get the data when the collection is complete. It would be great for students doing research using GIS. Good luck!

Thanks, @sqkelly! Hopefully I’ll be finished with it by the end of the summer, and I plan on making it publicly available.

Thanks for the reply, @rondagrizzle. The thing is that I want users to be able to click on the map key in the text box and have the points only from that specific year appear on the map. Is there a way to do that, perhaps similar to using the span tag in the Wordlines plugin?

The only way I know to hide annotations on the map is to tie them to the timeline and put them in the waypoints sidebar, unfortunately. NeatlineText uses the span tag to link annotations to text snippets in long form narrative, but it doesn’t hide the annotations until they’re activated by clicking the highlighted text.

You can also add small image files to the titles of Waypoints items, as one student did for her class exhibit (http://arth4590.neatline-uva.org/neatline/show/ovids-metamorphoses), that can function like a map key visually.