Geolocation requires Google API key?

I am having difficulty with properly configuring the Geolocation plugin. When I type in an address for my item, the map does not react at all. Is it essentially to have a Google API key in order to properly use this plugin? If so, how can you go about acquiring it?

1 Like

Hi there - can you give us some more details? Does this happen when you’re editing an item, or searching on the admin side? Which versions of Omeka and Geolocation are you using?

Certainly! The issue occurs when I edit an item. My version of Omeka is 2.4 und Geolocation in 2.2.4. At first I thought it was just an issue with the particular computer and browser I was using, but I have the same problem on different operating systems and browsers.

Are you able to interact with the map otherwise (not using the Find a Location by Address field)? Can you zoom in or out, and click to add a marker? Or is the map totally frozen?

Unfortunately it doesn’t react at all. The map is completely frozen.

Have you tried completely uninstalling and re-installing the plugin?

I just uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin. I can zoom in and out using the buttons, but the won’t react to my mouse and I cannot mark any places when I enter an address.

Can you post your System Information output? (It’s linked at the bottom of every admin page.)

Here is my information that was listed under “system”:
Omeka 2.4
PHP 5.5.9-1ubuntu4.17 (apache2handler)
OS Linux 3.10.0-327.18.2.el7.x86_64 x86_64
MySQL Server 5.5.47
MySQL Client 5.5.49
Apache Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu)

I was actually hoping for the whole thing, or in particular, the Plugins part.

I’m looking to see if this could be the result of some incompatibility between Geolocation and another plugin.

Sorry about that! I really appreciate any insight you might have into this issue. Thank you very much in advance!

Here is everything from the system information:
User
Browser Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_11_5) AppleWebKit/601.6.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.1.1 Safari/601.6.17
Role super
System
Omeka 2.4
PHP 5.5.9-1ubuntu4.17 (apache2handler)
OS Linux 3.10.0-327.18.2.el7.x86_64 x86_64
MySQL Server 5.5.47
MySQL Client 5.5.49
Apache Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu)
PHP Extensions
Regular apache2handler, apc, apcu, bcmath, bz2, calendar, Core, ctype, curl, date, dba, dom, ereg, exif, fileinfo, filter, ftp, gd, gettext, gmp, hash, iconv, intl, json, ldap, libxml, mbstring, mhash, mysql, mysqli, odbc, openssl, pcre, PDO, pdo_mysql, PDO_ODBC, pdo_pgsql, pdo_sqlite, pgsql, Phar, posix, readline, recode, Reflection, session, shmop, SimpleXML, soap, sockets, SPL, sqlite3, standard, sysvmsg, sysvsem, sysvshm, tokenizer, wddx, xml, xmlreader, xmlrpc, xmlwriter, xsl, Zend OPcache, zip, zlib
Zend Zend OPcache
Plugins
AddItemLink 0.1
ArchiveRepertory 2.14
BulkMetadataEditor 1.0.2
Carta 1.2.2
Coins 2.0.3
CollectionTree 2.0.2
Commenting 2.1.2
Contribution 3.0.3
ContributorContact 1.0.2
CreativeCommonsChooser 2.3.1
DigitalObjectLinker 2.0.1
Escher 1.0.1
ExhibitBuilder 3.3
FedoraConnector 2.1.5
Geolocation 2.2.4
GuestUser 1.1.1
HideElements 1.3
HistoryLog 2.6
HonorThyContributors 0.1.2
ItemOrder 2.0.2
ItemRelations 2.0.2
MetsExport 1.2.4
Neatline 2.5.1
NeatlineFeatures 2.0.5
NeatlineSimile 2.0.4
NeatlineText 1.1.0
NeatlineTime 2.1.0
NeatlineWaypoints 2.0.2
PdfText 1.0.1
SearchByMetadata 1.2.1
SimplePages 3.0.7
SolrSearch 2.3.0
Themes
berlin 2.3.1
default 2.3.2
seasons 2.3.1 (current)

No problem, I wasn’t specific about what I was asking for.

Does deactivating NeatlineFeatures help? There’s a known incompatibility between it and Geolocation (they both use the Google Maps API, and it doesn’t like being included on a page twice).

That worked! I typed in an address and a pin instantly popped up! Thank you so very much for the time and patience with helping me sort this out. I’m really enjoying Omeka for my project. It’s an awesome program.

I’m facing a similar problem. I’m getting Google Maps API error messages when trying to run Neatline plug-in 2.5.1

Since I also have Geolocation 2.2.4 installed - and having read here about the GM API conflict - I deactivated Geolocation, hoping it would stop the Neatline API error message. No luck. Any suggestions? Neatline seems to work otherwise.

Is the error you’re getting one specifically about missing a key?

It seems that (after the date of the original activity in this thread) Google Maps have changed their policy and do require an API key to use their service. It’s a little inconsistent though, because they appear to be trying to grandfather in preexisting keyless usages of the API.

The current version of Geolocation lets you specify a key, but I don’t believe that Neatline does

Thank you. Yes, Console reports: “Google Maps API error: MissingKeyMapError”

And, right again, Neatline doesn’t allow you to specify a key.

Is this a known problem? Should I submit a feature request?

It looks like someone has reported it to the Neatline developers already.

1 Like

Yes, and we have a pull request that should take care of it, I think. I just need to get the tests working and merge it in. Hopefully should get to it in the next couple of weeks.

I believe I am having the same problem as @cgura. In my case the server returns an error message “Error: ‘Athens’ was not found”. I deactivated the NeatlineFeatures plugin but this did not help.
Here is my System Info:

User
Browser Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/53.0.2785.143 Safari/537.36
Role super
System
Omeka 2.4.1
PHP 5.6.24-0+deb8u1 (apache2handler)
OS Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64
MySQL Server 5.5.52
MySQL Client 5.5.52
Apache Apache/2.4.10 (Debian)
PHP Extensions
Regular apache2handler, bcmath, bz2, calendar, Core, ctype, date, dba, dom, ereg, exif, fileinfo, filter, ftp, gettext, hash, iconv, json, libxml, mbstring, mhash, mysql, mysqli, openssl, pcre, PDO, pdo_mysql, Phar, posix, readline, Reflection, session, shmop, SimpleXML, soap, sockets, SPL, standard, sysvmsg, sysvsem, sysvshm, tokenizer, wddx, xml, xmlreader, xmlwriter, Zend OPcache, zip, zlib
Zend Zend OPcache
Plugins
BulkMetadataEditor 1.0.2
Coins 2.0.3
CollectionTree 2.0.2
Commenting 2.1.1
CsvImport 2.0.2
DigitalObjectLinker 2.0.0 (inactive)
Dropbox 0.7.2
DublinCoreExtended 2.0.1
ExhibitBuilder 3.1.1
Geolocation 2.2.5