File size limit increase in

Does anyone know how to increase the max file size within an Omeka install? From what I’ve read on various Omeka forums this requires adjusting the php.ini file on the server. I’ve been unable to locate the php.ini file so far. I have modified the upload.maxFileSize line in the config.ini for the install itself, but that line specifically notes that the variable in the config file won’t overwrite a value set in php.ini. I guess if the php.ini file isn’t there then this fix will take care of it but at the risk of rambling more than I already have, I’ll stop here.

Anyone who’s done this successfully that wouldn’t mind chiming in would be much appreciated. Thanks!

php.ini is a system file, so only admins have access to it. Some providers allow to change some arguments of it.
The param in config.ini cannot override the ones in php.ini, it just allows to set a lower value.
In most systems, the file php.ini is located at /etc/php/7.0/apache2/php.ini, but it depends on your system (Linux, Mac, Windows ? which distribution or version?).

On UNIX systems, you can find your php.ini file with this command:

$ locate php.ini

Note that you’ll probably need root’s rights to edit the file.

As an alternative, you can sometimes use Apache php_value directive in your .htaccess:

php_value upload_max_filesize 10M

However, it is not available with all PHP SAPI.

Note that post_max_size value should always be higher than upload_max_filesize value.