Extensible Custom Vocab?

I’m trying to understand the possibilities in Omeka S for using custom vocabularies. I’ve used the Custom Vocab module to create a handy dropdown of possible values for a field and wondering if it’s possible to also allow for manual entry of a new value? I realize this defeats the purpose of controlling the vocabulary but for my project it would be helpful to have a list of possible values for most cases and a way to entry a new value if it’s really needed.

Is there a way to do this in Omeka S?

1 Like

There is not a way to add a new term to a Custom Vocab from the item creation screen.

Selecting the Custom Vocabulary as the data type for the property in a resource template restricts the user to the terms in the list. However, you can select more than one data type for a property within a resource template. If you were to select the Custom Vocab and Text, your user could opt for the text entry. That would make the new term viable for the individual item, but of course it would not add it to the custom vocab list.

Thank you, this sounds like exactly what I need. However, when I add Text to the list of data types, I don’t see it as an option in the item creation for the field in question.

This is what I see in the admin after adding the Text datatype:
Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 9.18.28 AM

But here’s what it looks like in the item creation screen:

I was expecting to see a Text button but it only allows me to enter from the CustomVocab list.

Am I missing some step?

Nevermind! Caching got me once again. Thank you for the helpful response!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 250 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.