Error since upgrade

I recently upgraded my old website (created in 2013) to 2.7.1. The site came thru the upgrade pretty well, but the image that used to be on the summary page is no longer appearing.

I tried editing the item containing the image to be a featured item, but I get an error saying: Omeka has encountered an error, To learn how to see more detailed information about this error, see the Omeka Classic User Manual page on retrieving error messages.

I also tried inserting shortcode into the Exhibit description field. But it just appears on the website as the shortcode text I typed into the text box [file id=3] or [items]

Do you know how I can fix either of these problems?

Did you try to follow the instructions on the “retrieving error messages” link from the error you got?

Okay. So I figured out how to get the longer version of error messages and recreated the problem. To reiterate, the problem is that, when I check on the check box to make an item into a ‘featured’ item, when I go to save changes, I get this error:

Omeka has encountered an error

Zend_File_Transfer_Exception

The given destination is not writable

Zend_File_Transfer_Exception: The given destination is not writable in /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/File/Transfer/Adapter/Abstract.php:1043 Stack trace: #0 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/File/Ingest/Upload.php(35): Zend_File_Transfer_Adapter_Abstract->setDestination(’/tmp’) #1 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/File/Ingest/Upload.php(106): Omeka_File_Ingest_Upload->_buildAdapter() #2 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/File/Ingest/AbstractIngest.php(166): Omeka_File_Ingest_Upload->_parseFileInfo(‘file’) #3 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/models/Builder/Item.php(199): Omeka_File_Ingest_AbstractIngest->ingest(‘file’) #4 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/globals.php(567): Builder_Item->addFiles(‘Upload’, ‘file’, Array) #5 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/models/Item.php(321): insert_files_for_item(Object(Item), ‘Upload’, ‘file’, Array) #6 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/models/Item.php(231): Item->_uploadFiles() #7 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/Record/AbstractRecord.php(280): Item->beforeSave(Array) #8 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/Record/AbstractRecord.php(529): Omeka_Record_AbstractRecord->runCallbacks(‘beforeSave’, Array) #9 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/Controller/AbstractActionController.php(229): Omeka_Record_AbstractRecord->save(false) #10 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/controllers/ItemsController.php(88): Omeka_Controller_AbstractActionController->editAction() #11 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action.php(516): ItemsController->editAction() #12 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(308): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch(‘editAction’) #13 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http)) #14 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/Bootstrap.php(105): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch() #15 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Application.php(384): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_Bootstrap->run() #16 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/Application.php(73): Zend_Application->run() #17 /home/blackhis/public_html/admin/index.php(28): Omeka_Application->run() #18 {main}

Just wondering if anyone had read my reply above…any suggestions? I can’t seem to make edits to my Omeka Items. I can’t save changes to make an item ‘featured’ or add a ‘tag’.

I also can’t seem to add shortcode into the description field. — Well I can ADD it, but it just appears as text on the website…not hidden and not causing any action.

I believe that shortcodes simply aren’t supported in the exhibit description.

The error message is about the /tmp folder on your server: Omeka expects to be able to write files there and it doesn’t have permission. You might need to check with a server administrator on that front. You can also configure Omeka to use a different folder for this temporary storage, if that’s necessary.

I got my server administrator to help give me permission to write files to the /tmp folder. S/he said s/he had run a permissions script on my account. S/he said I should work with the forum to see what the process is to rewrite the site to the /tmp folder.

I tried changing the Item in my collection to “Featured” and when I clicked on “Save Changes” I got this error:
Zend_File_Transfer_Exception: The given destination is not writable in /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/File/Transfer/Adapter/Abstract.php:1043
Stack trace:
#0 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/File/Ingest/Upload.php(35): Zend_File_Transfer_Adapter_Abstract->setDestination(’/tmp’)
#1 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/File/Ingest/Upload.php(106): Omeka_File_Ingest_Upload->_buildAdapter()
#2 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/File/Ingest/AbstractIngest.php(166): Omeka_File_Ingest_Upload->_parseFileInfo(‘file’)
#3 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/models/Builder/Item.php(199): Omeka_File_Ingest_AbstractIngest->ingest(‘file’)
#4 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/globals.php(567): Builder_Item->addFiles(‘Upload’, ‘file’, Array)
#5 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/models/Item.php(321): insert_files_for_item(Object(Item), ‘Upload’, ‘file’, Array)
#6 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/models/Item.php(231): Item->_uploadFiles()
#7 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/Record/AbstractRecord.php(280): Item->beforeSave(Array)
#8 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/Record/AbstractRecord.php(529): Omeka_Record_AbstractRecord->runCallbacks(‘beforeSave’, Array)
#9 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/Controller/AbstractActionController.php(229): Omeka_Record_AbstractRecord->save(false)
#10 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/controllers/ItemsController.php(88): Omeka_Controller_AbstractActionController->editAction()
#11 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action.php(516): ItemsController->editAction()
#12 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(308): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch(‘editAction’)
#13 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http))
#14 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/Bootstrap.php(105): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch()
#15 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Application.php(384): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_Bootstrap->run()
#16 /home/blackhis/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/Application.php(73): Zend_Application->run()
#17 /home/blackhis/public_html/admin/index.php(28): Omeka_Application->run()
#18 {main}

It’s just the same error.

The key here is that Omeka (meaning, PHP executed by your web server) needs to be able to write to that directory, not necessarily your personal user (on some hosts these are the same, but not all).

If you have some other appropriate/accessible folder, other than /tmp, that the server can write to instead, you can configure it with the instructions I linked in my previous message.

Hi again.
So I sent an email to my server administrators to ask them to ensure my account can write to the /tmp directory. They wrote back the following:
The permissions in the account and the tmp folder are all correct, and I compared with another account with Omeka to check. I see that the tmp folder was updated a few times today, with the latest log I am attaching referring to Omeka. I also checked that you have proper permissions as a user and you are already listed as a Super user. Lastly, I double-checked that the database user has all the necessary permissions with the correlating database. … If you want to configure Omeka to use a different folder you can try that on your end, but we are unfortunately not able to assist with that process.

So, I tried again to see if I could edit an Item in my Omeka Collection, to make it a featured item. I just chose “Edit” and checked the check-box for featured, and then clicked on “Save Changes.” And I got the same Omeka error message.

Please note that I created this website originally in 2013 and recently got help from my server adminstrator to upgrade Omeka to version 2.7.1. That seemed to go perfectly, except that the image I used to have on my main/summary page no longer appears. This is the item I am trying to save as a featured item, without success.

Can you clarify what the underlying problem you’re trying to solve is?

I don’t recall the old Exhibit Builder versions having an image on the summary page for an exhibit at all, but I may be misremembering. Could it have been some custom change you had made, perhaps?

The current Exhibit Builder has a “cover image” feature that lets you select an image. Have you tried using that?

Yes, I think I DID make a custom change to put this image on my summary page. I just checked, and I DID identify this image as my “cover image”, however, it seems to only use it as a thumbnail on the exhibit list.

I want to have this image on the summary page. Right now, my summary page is very boring looking, with only text on it. How can I add an image to my summary page.

Hi there! Per my message above, did you have any suggestions on how I can add an image to my summary page? I tried adding this item as a “cover image” but it just makes it into a thumbnail image, and does not appear on the summary page.

I think probably your best option is to do a custom change again.

You can display the cover image from the browse page on the summary page by adding

<?php echo record_image('exhibit'); ?>

to the summary’s view file, views/public/exhibits/summary.php. You can make the change right in the plugin or copy the file to your theme and put it at exhibit-builder/exhibits/summary.php and edit it there.

Okay, so under my “Home/BlackHis” folder I found a file called summary.php

It is inside of the following folders:

public_html/plugins/ExhibitBuilder/views/public/exhibits

which seems to be what you are suggesting. And I copied the line of code you sent me (above). But I can’t open the summary.php file. When I click on it, it downloads. And when I go to open it, it says there is no application to open that file.

So, first, do I have the RIGHT file? Second, how to I open it? And third, where abouts in that file do I insert the code you sent me?

You’re looking at the right file.

Where you’d want to put that code in the file depends on where on the page you want the image to appear. It should be somewhat clear what’s going on once you get the file open.

You need to edit this file on your server. Your host may have tools for doing that in an administrative panel somewhere. You can download the file, edit it locally, and re-upload it to make the change (some SSH/SFTP clients will handle this process for you automatically). If you’re editing the file locally on your computer, it’s simply a text editor that you want to open the file with.

Okay, so I opened the summary.php file in a text editor. I added the line of text you sent to me (see above) and I inserted the text in the file, just before the line to add the footer. Then I saved it and uploaded it to the same directory/folder. I renamed the old file and named the edited/uploaded version to be summary.php. Then I clicked on “Reload” to ensure that the folder recognized the change. Then I went back to reload my website, and it doesn’t appear to have changed.

Here is what the edited summary.php file looks like with the added line of code.

<?php echo head(array('title' => metadata('exhibit', 'title'), 'bodyclass'=>'exhibits summary')); ?>

<?php echo metadata('exhibit', 'title'); ?>

<?php echo exhibit_builder_page_nav(); ?>
<?php if ($exhibitDescription = metadata('exhibit', 'description', array('no_escape' => true))): ?>
<?php echo $exhibitDescription; ?>
<?php endif; ?> <?php if (($exhibitCredits = metadata('exhibit', 'credits'))): ?>

<?php echo __('Credits'); ?>

<?php echo $exhibitCredits; ?>

<?php endif; ?>
<?php $pageTree = exhibit_builder_page_tree(); if ($pageTree): ?> <?php echo $pageTree; ?> <?php endif; ?> <?php echo record_image('exhibit'); ?> <?php echo foot(); ?>

So you can see that I added the line of code as the second from last line - ie, just before the footer.

Any thoughts on why this did work? Do I need to do some other “compilation” step to make the system see that line? Or is the new line of code in the wrong place?

Your description of what you did sounds fine.

One option could be that this is not actually the view that’s being used… does your theme have an “exhibit-builder” folder inside it? If it does, it might have its own copy of this file, meaning you’d have to edit that one instead.

No. My Theme folder only has 3 sub-folders: Berlin, Default and Seasons.

But I noticed that something has changed in my public_html/plugins/ExhibitBuilder/views/public/exhibits folder. I had uploaded my edited summary.php When it was uploaded the system named it summary(1),php I renamed the original Summary.php to be called Old Summary.php and I renamed the new summary(1).php to be summary.php

But when I went to look there TODAY, the NEW summary file (date Feb 8) has been renamed to be summary(1).php and the old file is summary.php

So did the system reload the original, or did you change it back, or what do you think is happening there?

Uhhh, I’m not sure what’s happening with the (1) stuff, it’s probably something to do with the way you’re uploading the file, where it’s trying to avoid you overwriting the original. Omeka itself won’t be changing those names or anything.

You should be able to rename or move things so your edited version is just called “summary.php.”

Yay! It worked! I don’t know why the name changes didn’t work before. But I renamed the old summary file to be oldsummary.php Before I might have left a space or put a dash between the words “old” and “summary”. Maybe not an allowed name. Or maybe I didn’t use the “Rename” button? Anyway, I did the file renaming again, and I now have a little picture of “Rose Fortune” next to the text about her.

Thank you so much for all your help. If you want to go to my website and look at the picture, it’s at
http://blackhistoryincanada.ca/exhibits/show/black-history-in-canada