Error occurred while installing the ZoteroImport plugin

Zotero import quit working (we don’t know why) so we uninstalled the Zotero plugin, but when we attempt to reinstall it we receive the error message:

The following error occurred while installing the ZoteroImport plugin: An element set by the name “Zotero” already exists. You must delete that element set to install this plugin.

Deleting the element set warns me:

Are you sure?
This will delete the element set and all elements assigned to the element set. Items will lose all metadata that is specific to this element set.

I really don’t want to reenter all the metadata that we’ve already entered from previous imports and what we have entered manually. Is there another solution or a work around?

You can skip the effort to install the element set by opening up ZoteroImportPlugin.php and comment out the line to install at line 193 by putting // in front of it. It’ll look like

//        insert_element_set(self::ELEMENT_SET_NAME, $elements);

That’ll let the reinstall continue without that error. Then, I expect we’ll have to figure out why it quit working. First thing to check is that you have the latest version of the plugin

Thanks, Patrick. I installed the latest version & commented out that line but still receive the same error. Any other idea what I might try? thx!

Ah, my bad. I made a bad assumption about where that error was coming from. In addition to that line, comment out this whole block, just a few lines above it

/*
        if ($this->_db->getTable('ElementSet')->findByName(self::ELEMENT_SET_NAME)) {
            throw new Omeka_Plugin_Installer_Exception(
                __('An element set by the name "%s" already exists. You must delete that element set to install this plugin.', self::ELEMENT_SET_NAME)
            );
        }
*/

Ok, that worked. I’ll see if the import works now. Thanks!

I had a similar issue just now. I kept getting an error message when I tried to add in my atom url to connect my Zotero in Omeka. I deleted the files and uninstalled Zotero. Now I’m having trouble reinstalling. Could you help? If I follow the solution above, where exactly do I “comment out” the above code?

Thank you! :checkered_flag::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

This is the message I get:

The following error occurred while installing the ZoteroImport plugin: An element set by the name “Zotero” already exists. You must delete that element set to install this plugin.

On the Element Sets page you should see an option to delete the Zotero element set.