Contentdm link plug in

Hi! So theoretically with this plug in I could migrate an entire content dm collection into omeka, correct? Would I then need to go in individually and attach files to records or would they appear as part of the migration? Would they remain functional after I deleted my content dm account? Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

@NedHenry is probably the best person to answer this question, as ContentDM Link is one of his plugins.

Hi! Thanks for asking this; I am aware that this plugin is rather poorly documented at the moment. We weren’t sure how many other institutions would be interested in using it, and we have not yet added a ton of features or documentation to it beyond what we needed ourselves. That said, the plugin may fit your needs. The short answer is that it does what you want only if your contentDM collection contains only simple image and PDF objects.

• Yes, you could theoretically migrate an entire contentDM collection into Omeka, provided the contentDM collection is made up entirely of simple objects that our plugin can handle, and that your Omeka instance can handle the scale of all the ingest tasks and the size of the new collection.

• For simple image and PDF objects, the plugin will automatically download the attached files from contentDM, ingest them into Omeka, and associate them with the new Omeka record (as if you had uploaded them into Omeka yourself). These files will remain functional after you close your contentDM account.

• The plugin does not automatically import video, audio, or other files, because we do not generally host multimedia files on our Omeka instances (we embed them from a separate multimedia streaming server). We decided it was outside the scope of this plugin to decide how to handle multimedia and large data files within Omeka. I believe that the plugin imports direct links to these files on ContentDM, but those links will break when you close your ContentDM account. These files must be downloaded and associated with your Omeka items separately. In our case, for a small ContentDM collection, I wrote a custom one-off script to automatically download the files from ContentDM, ingest them each into a new multimedia streaming software system of our choice, and then embed them from there into our omeka site associated with the appropriate Omeka items.

Is this plug in still working? I’ve tried loading it to our Reclaim Hosting version of Omeka. It says it is was successfully configured but doesn’t connect to our CONTENTdm database. The collections don’t show up in the collections drop down and the search box doesn’t appear produce any results. I’m trying to determine if there something wrong with the way we are setting it up or if the plug in is outdated.

1 Like

Hi NedHenry. I was searching for this answer, and saw my colleague vkern had asked the question below, and I thought I’d ask you directly, as you seem the most familiar with the projects. I want to use the same plugin but am concerned that it might not work, as I will be using a configuration similar to vkern’s.
vkern: “Hi Is this plug in still working? I’ve tried loading it to our Reclaim Hosting version of Omeka. It says it is was successfully configured but doesn’t connect to our CONTENTdm database. The collections don’t show up in the collections drop down and the search box doesn’t appear produce any results. I’m trying to determine if there something wrong with the way we are setting it up or if the plug in is outdated.”