Can't update omekas stuck on "site under maintenance"

I am unable to update omeka-s. I’m following the instructions as specified here:
https://omeka.org/s/docs/user-manual/install/#updating
That didn’t work. It simply displays a “Site Under Maintenance” page with no entries in the error log to go with it.
I even removed the entire directory, pulled it down from github, ran npm and gulp, then put in my config-themes-files-modules folders. It still says “site under maintenance” even with the fresh install and no error messages in the apache log file. The original site/db were not in maintenance mode when the copy was made.

Which url are you visiting that you see the “Site under maintenance”? Just the main site url, or /admin?

Just the main site. I went to the admin site and saw that I forgot to migrate the database.
I am now seeing the site after migration, but all item pages are now displaying 'OmekaS has encountered an error" with no errors logged from Apache.

Do you have your .htaccess file set to development or production?

Switched it to “development” got this:

Zend\ServiceManager\Exception\ServiceNotFoundException
Unable to resolve service “Omeka\SiteSettings” to a factory; are you certain you provided it during configuration?

Details:

Zend\ServiceManager\Exception\ServiceNotFoundException: Unable to resolve service “Omeka\SiteSettings” to a factory; are you certain you provided it during configuration? in C:\xampp\htdocs\omeka-s\vendor\zendframework\zend-servicemanager\src\ServiceManager.php:687
Stack trace:
#0 C:\xampp\htdocs\omeka-s\vendor\zendframework\zend-servicemanager\src\ServiceManager.php(763): Zend\ServiceManager\ServiceManager->getFactory(‘Omeka\SiteSetti…’)
#1 C:\xampp\htdocs\omeka-s\vendor\zendframework\zend-servicemanager\src\ServiceManager.php(200): Zend\ServiceManager\ServiceManager->doCreate(‘Omeka\SiteSetti…’)
#2 C:\xampp\htdocs\omeka-s\modules\Sharing\Module.php(223): Zend\ServiceManager\ServiceManager->get(‘Omeka\SiteSetti…’)
#3 C:\xampp\htdocs\omeka-s\vendor\zendframework\zend-eventmanager\src\EventManager.php(322): Sharing\Module->viewShow(Object(Zend\EventManager\Event))
#4 C:\xampp\htdocs\omeka-s\vendor\zendframework\zend-eventmanager\src\EventManager.php(171): Zend\EventManager\EventManager->triggerListeners(Object(Zend\EventManager\Event))
#5 C:\xampp\htdocs\omeka-s\application\src\View\Helper\Trigger.php(61): Zend\EventManager\EventManager->triggerEvent(Object(Zend\EventManager\Event))
#6 [internal function]: Omeka\View\Helper\Trigger->__invoke(‘view.show.befor…’)
#7 C:\xampp\htdocs\omeka-s\vendor\zendframework\zend-view\src\Renderer\PhpRenderer.php(397): call_user_func_array(Object(Omeka\View\Helper\Trigger), Array)
#8 C:\xampp\htdocs\omeka-s\application\view\omeka\site\page\show.phtml(23): Zend\View\Renderer\PhpRenderer->__call(‘trigger’, Array)
#9 C:\xampp\htdocs\omeka-s\vendor\zendframework\zend-view\src\Renderer\PhpRenderer.php(505): include(‘C:\xampp\htdocs…’)
#10 C:\xampp\htdocs\omeka-s\vendor\zendframework\zend-view\src\View.php(207): Zend\View\Renderer\PhpRenderer->render(NULL)
#11 C:\xampp\htdocs\omeka-s\vendor\zendframework\zend-view\src\View.php(236): Zend\View\View->render(Object(Zend\View\Model\ViewModel))
#12 C:\xampp\htdocs\omeka-s\vendor\zendframework\zend-view\src\View.php(200): Zend\View\View->renderChildren(Object(Zend\View\Model\ViewModel))
#13 C:\xampp\htdocs\omeka-s\vendor\zendframework\zend-mvc\src\View\Http\DefaultRenderingStrategy.php(105): Zend\View\View->render(Object(Zend\View\Model\ViewModel))
#14 C:\xampp\htdocs\omeka-s\vendor\zendframework\zend-eventmanager\src\EventManager.php(322): Zend\Mvc\View\Http\DefaultRenderingStrategy->render(Object(Zend\Mvc\MvcEvent))
#15 C:\xampp\htdocs\omeka-s\vendor\zendframework\zend-eventmanager\src\EventManager.php(171): Zend\EventManager\EventManager->triggerListeners(Object(Zend\Mvc\MvcEvent))
#16 C:\xampp\htdocs\omeka-s\vendor\zendframework\zend-mvc\src\Application.php(367): Zend\EventManager\EventManager->triggerEvent(Object(Zend\Mvc\MvcEvent))
#17 C:\xampp\htdocs\omeka-s\vendor\zendframework\zend-mvc\src\Application.php(348): Zend\Mvc\Application->completeRequest(Object(Zend\Mvc\MvcEvent))
#18 C:\xampp\htdocs\omeka-s\index.php(21): Zend\Mvc\Application->run()
#19 {main}

The error message mentions the Sharing module. Does disabling or uninstalling it make a difference? What version of the module do you have?

It’s an older version. Disabling it worked. I should have just installed the modules manually instead of copying the directory over. Thanks.