Can't access my Omeka collections

Hello, Yesterday I tried to access one of my Omeka files and nothing displayed but a simple message saying it was unavailable. I went in to the ht.access file in my my Bluehost ControlPanel and enabled Set Env Applications… in order to see the error message, which is displayed below. To the best of my recollection I am running version 2.14. What do I do next?

Omeka has encountered an error

Zend_Session_Exception

Zend_Session::start() - /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Zend/Db/Table/Abstract.php(Line:1307): Error #2 count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
/home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Zend/Db/Table/Abstract.php(Line:1307): Error #2 count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Zend_Session_Exception: Zend_Session::start() - /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Zend/Db/Table/Abstract.php(Line:1307): Error #2 count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Zend/Db/Table/Abstract.php(Line:1307): Error #2 count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Zend/Session.php:495 Stack trace: #0 /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Zend/Session/Namespace.php(143): Zend_Session::start(true) #1 /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Zend/Auth/Storage/Session.php(86): Zend_Session_Namespace->__construct(‘Zend_Auth’) #2 /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Zend/Auth.php(91): Zend_Auth_Storage_Session->__construct() #3 /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Zend/Auth.php(141): Zend_Auth->getStorage() #4 /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Omeka/Application/Resource/Currentuser.php(42): Zend_Auth->hasIdentity() #5 /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/BootstrapAbstract.php(695): Omeka_Application_Resource_Currentuser->init() #6 /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/BootstrapAbstract.php(641): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_BootstrapAbstract->_executeResource(‘Currentuser’) #7 /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/BootstrapAbstract.php(598): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_BootstrapAbstract->_bootstrap(‘Currentuser’) #8 /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Omeka/Application/Resource/Helpers.php(122): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_BootstrapAbstract->bootstrap(‘Currentuser’) #9 /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Omeka/Application/Resource/Helpers.php(27): Omeka_Application_Resource_Helpers->_initAclHelper() #10 /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/BootstrapAbstract.php(695): Omeka_Application_Resource_Helpers->init() #11 /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/BootstrapAbstract.php(641): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_BootstrapAbstract->_executeResource(‘Helpers’) #12 /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/BootstrapAbstract.php(598): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_BootstrapAbstract->_bootstrap(‘Helpers’) #13 /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Omeka/Application/Resource/Frontcontroller.php(63): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_BootstrapAbstract->bootstrap(‘Helpers’) #14 /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/BootstrapAbstract.php(695): Omeka_Application_Resource_Frontcontroller->init() #15 /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/BootstrapAbstract.php(638): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_BootstrapAbstract->_executeResource(‘frontcontroller’) #16 /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/BootstrapAbstract.php(598): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_BootstrapAbstract->_bootstrap(‘frontcontroller’) #17 /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Zend/Application.php(373): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_BootstrapAbstract->bootstrap(NULL) #18 /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/application/libraries/Omeka/Application.php(49): Zend_Application->bootstrap() #19 /home4/archive7/public_html/Archive7_Appalachia/project/admin/index.php(28): Omeka_Application->initialize() #20 {main}

It looks to me like your host upgraded its version of PHP or switched servers or something like that. This is an error you get when running an old Omeka on a too-recent PHP.

Upgrading your Omeka install to the latest version (2.7, currently) will fix this problem. Note that you’ll probably have to upgrade themes and plugins as well… 2.1.4 is over five years old. Make sure you have backups.

I have version 2.5. I remember installing the update and it was kind of difficult. I know howto update to a newer version when I’m logged in but I don’t know how I’m going to do it since I can’t even access my profile.

So you have 2.5, not 2.1.4?

The upgrade from 2.5 to 2.7 should be pretty painless… when you put the new Omeka files in place you should have access again to the site to click the necessary upgrade button.

There are step by step instructions for upgrading your Omeka installation here: https://omeka.org/classic/docs/Installation/Upgrading/

If you’re having trouble logging in to your BlueHost profile to run the update, you should reach out to them.

Hey, thanks! I really appreciate your help.

Follow-up: I contacted Bluehost and the Tech Support people told me that the problem had occurred after a recent upgrade on their end. They referred it to an Administrator and somehow the issue got resolved. I can access all my files and sites but I got a strange message from someone at Bluehost afterwards with some gobbledy-gook about “splash pages” and how there has been no file activity on my site for some time (it was updated as recently as June, '19). Anyway, I’m glad it got resolved but I’m a little nervous about a recurrence. I am thinking of holding off on an upgrade until I have found another hosting service. Omeka’s upgrade page recommends Dreamhost and a couple of other hosting services that don’t appear to still be active. Does anyone have any other recommendations?