Browsing Items not returning ALL items by Class, Tag, Item Set, etc

I am baffled at this point. I have tried adding items, tagging, untagging existing items, making sure they are public, making sure they all are apart of a certain item set, etc, and the browse function on my website is not returning the expected number of items.

For instance, I have four items that are apart of an item set, and you see that in the backend of the system, and they are all set to public…however, when you go to browse on the website and search by that one item set, it only returns TWO results instead of the full four. The same thing happens when I try to search by their class (they are all “books”) and the same thing happens when I search by their shared tag.

Has anyone encountered this problem or have any clue as to why this is happening?

Thanks in advance!

Is the item set part of the resources for the site you’ve built? Or did you add them by class? Or both?

Ahhh, I did not realize you could add them to the resources INSIDE a specific site … we’ve just been adding items and item sets to the general area. We have several sites - how do you assign an item to a specific site and not the other?

In the settings for each site is a Resources tab - http://omeka.org/s/docs/user-manual/sites/site_resources/. You can set the items and item sets associated with each site - these are what will show up on the browse links for the site.

1 Like

Actually, I don’t see how to add items to to individual site…it lets me for the item sets, but not the items. Here’s a screen shot below … see how it says there are 32 items for “Jewish Women Postcards”? Well, there are 32 items across the entire sites, those are not all supposed to be for Jewish Women. There are only a few of them.

You’ve currently got it looking for items in the site pool for the site for which you are setting the pool, which may be why it’s returning all possible items. Try defining the search another way and see if that works. Do they have a unifying property by which you could search? Or search by the item set to which they are assigned?

Ahhh ok …I see how it works now! Within that site’s resource item pool, you have to choose the site PLUS a common assigned class or tag, item set, etc. Now I can just do a basic item search and solely pick from the site dropdown and I see the appropriate results. Thanks for your help!

Just a suggestion, but I would think from a user’s point of view, it would be nice to be able to add items within the site from the start, so you can bypass this step of trying to categorize to the site after the fact.

One little wrinkle: the dropdown you’re seeing for “In site pool” there… that whole interface is just the advanced search for items, which has the “in site pool” option on it.

You don’t need to pick that when you’re editing the item pool for a site. The “pool” you’re editing is always scoped only to the site you’re in. That “in site pool” dropdown is only there so you can base other searches on it. In other words, you don’t need to do “both.”

The tricky part of what you’re suggesting about adding items into the site from the start is that there is no list stored somewhere of what items go in what sites. The search/filtering terms you enter into the item pool page are the only thing that determines whether an item is included in a site. In other words, it acts kind of like a saved search, so it updates automatically when new items meet your criteria (and when old items don’t anymore).

So, you can’t really assign an item to a site when you create it, but you can do something similar: if you set the pool for a site to include one item set, for example, you can just assign that item set to the items as you create them. (The same goes for any other search of course, your criteria could be directly based on metadata if that fits your workflow).

Ahhh I see, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining it that way. My only follow up question now is, do you see anything potentially disadvantageous with assigning multiple item sets to a single item?

Nope! Item sets in Omeka S are designed to be applied with multiple sets to each item, which could overlap, be subsets of one another, whatever.

1 Like