BlocksDisposition Module Or Other Methods For Turning Off Automatic Embed of IIIF Viewers in Browse or Item Display?

Hi,

I haven’t had a chance to work with Omeka S for much of this past year and have been impressed by the number of new themes and modules that are becoming available.

I was hoping the BlocksDisposition module would offer a simpler way to control whether the default media viewer and one or more IIIF viewers (e.g. UV, Mirador, etc.) appeared on an item or browse display page. However, changing BlocksDisposition settings for Universal Viewer didn’t have any effect on whether the viewer displayed on the page (it always did) and it doesn’t seem to offer this option.

Refreshing my memory and noticing some of the new features, it looks like I still have to edit a theme’s view/omeka/site/item/show.html and view/omeka/site/item/browse.phtml to remove references to the default viewer ($mediaRenderer, etc.) and move (or remove altogether) the line

<?php $this->trigger('view.show.after'); ?>

or

<?php $this->trigger('view.browse.after'); ?>

which seems to determine where the IIIF viewer appears on the page. I’m testing this now with the DigitalCollecting theme and this mostly seems to work, except I have some item properties (e.g., contributor, title, id, etc.) showing on the line above the viewer).

For Browse the default behavior is to render the IIIF viewer window at the bottom of the page after displaying thumbnails; it would be great if this were easier to disable.

Are there any settings in the module’s config.json file

UniversalViewer/asset/universal-viewer/config.json

that might control whether UV (or other viewer) gets appended to an item or browse page by default?

Am I using BlocksDisposition incorrectly or a chance it might offer this control in the future?

Thanks

2 Likes

My problem goes in a similar direction. I do not want to display universal viewer on the item set level. How can I achieve this? I seem to remember that there were “earlier” options for this, which are no longer available in the current version. Could you maybe write something about this @Daniel_KM I don’t like to install further modules like BlockDisposition.

You can modify the theme for that. A long time ago there was an option for that in the module, but I added this option in many other modules and it was many duplicate code and many difficult to know where to config the display of the viewer. So I created the module blocks disposition to manage all the settings in one place. Ideally, it should be a core feature to configure all the blocks of the resource pages.

This topic was automatically closed 250 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.