Adapting Collecting module?

Hi,

I set up Collecting plugin to allow a closed list of contrubutors adding data.

I am having 4 questions about how adapting the plugin to our needs :

1. Can we limit the access to the plugin on the public view ? Only a list of wellknown scientists should be able to fill in the collecting fields ? Lmit via a password or by filling in emailaddress on one prompt ?

2. As we have created a thesaurus, we need a selected menu in response with the precedent prompt. For instance, let’s have 2 prompts with select menu : 1 country, 1 cities. If the contributor chooses England on the first prompt, the select menu of the cities prompt should only contain England’s cities. Is it possible by changing the php code and in this case, could you explain me where I should change this ?

3. In some cases, contributors should be able to choose several items on the select menu and not only one.

4. a field “other” should be available in case no item fits with the contribution.

Many thanks in advance if you can help me.
Emilie

1. Can we limit the access to the plugin on the public view ? Only a list of wellknown scientists should be able to fill in the collecting fields ? Lmit via a password or by filling in emailaddress on one prompt?

You can limit access to a Collecting form by adding a Collecting block to a page that is not linked from site navigation. You can then share this “private” (i.e. unlinked) page to the selected group.

1. Is it possible by changing the php code and in this case, could you explain me where I should change this?

I don’t see a straightforward way to accomplish this. You’d need to add a “Select menu (hierarchical)” input type and find way to display the hierarchy in the administrative and public forms and handle storage and validation. You could roughly follow the existing “Select menu” input type, but these kind of conditional form controls are notoriously difficult to implement.

1. In some cases, contributors should be able to choose several items on the select menu and not only one.

You could provide more than one “Item resource” prompt for the same property and tell contributors to use only as many as they need.

1. a field “other” should be available in case no item fits with the contribution.

Wouldn’t no selection imply “other”?

Many thanks for your reply.

I follow your advises regarding the site navigation. I also created a group of authors allowed collecting new items.
However, I could not fin a way to select a group in order to share the private Collecting page.
Could you be more precise regarding the way to do this ?

Concerning the issue 4. The deal is to be able to fill in a new item in the select menu if the list does not contain the name of the item.

Best Regards