A couple questions about taxonomies

Hi everyone! I was hoping someone might be so kind as to answer a few questions I have to see if Omeka will be the right fit for a project I’m working on.

I’ve been tasked with creating a public-facing website for a bunch of archival material (photos, audio files, PDF documents, maps). It sounds like Omeka will be a great fit (and much less of a learning curve compared to Drupal). I’ve got it installed locally as of this morning, and a few questions have come up:

• Can an Item be assigned to appear in multiple Collections?
  • Can you create custom taxonomies? For example, if I need a “Person” field to behave like tags, is that possible?
  • Somewhat related… can you sort by/filter by the Dublin Core metadata fields on the front-end? For example, is there a mechanism to, say, show all Items with the same content in the “Creator” field?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello,

In Omeka Classic, an item can only be in one collection at a time. However, with Omeka S you can have an item in multiple item sets.

I’m not entirely sure what you mean by “behave like tags”, but you can make metadata browseable by using the Search by Metadata plugin for Omeka Classic, or the Metadata Browse module for S.

What view would you want to sort by metadata? You can do advanced search to see all items with X in the creator field, or were you talking more about the browse items view?

This topic was automatically closed 250 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.